Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

D is for Don't Know

I was wondering how many times I hear this little phrase every day, usually in response to every question I ask the kids;
What did you do at school today?
What would you like for dinner?
How did this mess get here?
Why is so and so crying?
and on and on, and it occurred to me, what they usually mean is I can't be bothered to tell you, or I don't want to get into trouble. Even worse than don't know is the shrug, you will know it when you see it. It may not be intentionally rude but it sure makes my blood boil!
Weirdly though, when I have tried the don't know routine I get funny looks and sulks,
Can I have a drink?
What's for dinner?
Can I go to such and such?
Maybe I should try the shrug...

3 comments:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Don't know I think really means don't care :)

Ella said...

I dislike the word, "whatever". The lack of concern drives me nuts! I get it is a shut me down word...but it aggravates me. I think sometimes we should act just like them, but you have to do it for awhile, not just one moment~

Barbara said...

Hi, nice to meet you, I popped over through the challenge's 'surprise me' button :) I love your family picture :) And don't worry about the -don't know- and -shrugs- it's a phase.... at least in my case - I grew out of it! :)