Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Lump in the throat

Sometimes I curse the kids, they disturb me when I'm trying to work, they fight with each other and they get up way too early but then I realise I asked for this. I chose to have them, warts and all so have to put up with all the disruption and paraphernalia that comes with them. There are times however, when I get to sit back and count my blessings. Monday evening was one of those times. Heather had come home from school, her homework was done and she was at the table, doing one of her favourite things drawing. I was getting on with the dinner when she appeared beside me, piece of paper thrust towards me. This is not unusual, she has been gradually filling my bedside table drawer with pictures of butterflies and people and cars for weeks, but this piece of paper was special.

She had drawn a lovely flower and hopscotch game but all by herself she had written;
for mummy youur m bste frenb youur byotful anb happe anb good love Heather. (for mummy you're my best friends, you're beautiful and happy and good. Love Heather.)
I was impressed that she had tried to write such big words without any help and welled up.

She has her first play date tonight, we have had friends over here but last year she missed out on a lot due to Lucy coming along in the March and me not being able to have lots of her friends over. This year we have made more of an effort and so today she is going to a friends straight from school. She is very excited, I am a little nervous, will I be able to find her friends house? will she eat her dinner? will she be polite? will she be OK without me or panic? Will she refuse to leave when she realises how much fun it is to play at other people's houses? I guess I'll find out later.

Lucy is now very mobile and caused her first breakage yesterday, I was cooking dinner and was momentarily distracted by the screams that accompany Heather and Matthew having a fight! In the time it took me to sort that out, Lucy who was in her walker had managed to grab the pestle and mortar and shatter it over the kitchen floor. One thing is for sure with these three working against me I'll never be rich, or bored!

Matthew and I are working hard together over half term, I am trying to keep him entertained and he is doing his best to outwit me! We had a lovely day on Monday and he relished the attention although yesterday he was tired and it showed as he was more interested in whinging and winding Lucy up than looking at his Peppa Pig magazine. Still we did manage a trip to the library and post office with no accidents, expensive purchases or losses of temper. I think the key to harmony with him is to keep him busy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Keeping the children busy is definitely the key.
We were baking cakes yesterday and, yes my kitchen looks like a disaster area now, but boy did they have fun.
Decorating them later on today. I fear for my kitchen all over again!